Posted on March 16, 2011 by Donna L. Wilson
Donna’s Tomato Tortilla Soup
• 4 Servings
• Prep 10 min
• Cook 30 min
• 2 tablespoons organic olive oil
• 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
• 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
• 4 cups organic vegetable broth (I like the Trader Joe’s brand, personally)
• 5 or 6 fresh organic tomatoes or one 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, and juice
• 1 cup of fresh (sliced off the cob) or frozen organic sweet corn
• 1 cup of black beans (either canned, or dried & previously soaked o/n & cooked)
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon basil
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• Juice of 1/2 lime
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh org. cilantro, or dried (I love cilantro, but you may want to start out with half this amount for your tastes)
• 1 organic avocado
• Crispy Tortilla Strips
1. In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion and crushed red pepper and cook over medium heat until the onion is translucent, about 7 minutes. Add the vegetable broth and the tomatoes and their juice, bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Add the cumin, basil, salt, lime juice, corn, black beans and simmer for 2 minutes.
3. Garnish with cilantro, tortilla strips, diced avocados, tomatoes, onions and serve.
*Variations: I also prefer using crispy tortilla strips or chips, broken up, sprinkled on top of the soup.
**Visit MyVideoWebShow to view more of my healthy videos!
EasyFreeAds Blog News Facebook Twitter Myspace Friendfeed Technorati del.icio.us Digg Google Yahoo Buzz StumbleUpon